Agricultural University of Athens,
Iera odos 75, 11855, Athens
email: gpap (at) aua.gr
EDUCATION AND CAREER
- 2009 – today: Professor at AUA, Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
- 2010 – 2014: Vice Rector of AUA, responsible for the research and development of AUA
- 2003: Associate Professor at AUA, Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
- 1996: Assistant Professor at AUA, Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
- 1993-1996: Researcher at AUA, (energy projects)
- 1991-1992: Researcher at CRES (Centre for Renewable energy Sources, Greece)
- 1989: PhD from the Agricultural University of Athens on Agricultural Engineering
- 1983: Diploma on Agricultural Engineering from AUA
Prof. Papadakis has played a key role at the Agricultural University of Athens (AUA) for the advancement of the academic (education and research) activities in the field of sustainable energy. He has guided AUA in introducing relevant courses and he has succeeded in founding an accredited postgraduate program of studies at the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering (NRAE) on “Energy Systems and Renewable Energy” which operates since the year 2000.
He has also significantly contributed to the reform of the curriculum of the undergraduate studies of the Dept. of NRAE during the years 2002-2003.
In the period 2012-2016, he has been involved in a TEMPUS, European Union funded project regarding “Solar energy system design using advanced learning aids” where modern educational material was developed, that is PowerPoint presentations, videos and texts regarding solar energy (photovoltaics and solar thermal) systems design in the English and the Arabic languages. He is currently coordinator of an ERASMUS plus project (2017-2020) funded by the European Union on “Sustainable farming – SFARM”, for the development of a Masters program of studies in 12 universities (3 from European Union countries and 8 from Asian counties: 2 from China, 2 from Laos, 2 from Vietnam and 2 from Indonesia).
Over the past 20 years he has taught a series of courses on under- and postgraduate level at AUA, including courses on Renewable energy technologies, Technologies for increasing energy efficiency, Heat and mass transfer, Fuels–Combustion–Heat production and distribution systems, Tractors, Agricultural field machinery, Turbomachinery, Ergonomics and Safety in Agricultural Engineering.
As an internationally recognized academic he has been invited to deliver seminars in universities such as the University of South Florida-USA, Columbia University–NYC-USA, Liege University-Belgium, Ghent University-Belgium, Aston University-UK, University Cadi Ayyad–Marrakech-Morocco, Alexandria University-Egypt, Cairo University-Egypt, China Agricultural University–Beijing-China, Southeast University–Nanjing-China, Seoul National University-S. Korea.
Papadakis has been working on renewable energy systems for more than 20 years. Major research activities regard water desalination powered by renewable energy (solar photovoltaic and wind) and other energy sources. He has also been working on the development and application of microgrids consisted of renewable energy technologies for electricity supply, on the development of energy systems based on the Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) and on the biofuels’ deployment for power production.
Since 1997 he has coordinated, 30 research projects; 17 international projects funded by the European Union, 3 bilateral projects (between Greece and Germany, Romania, Hungary) and 10 national ones. In these projects he has collaborated with a large number of universities, institutes and private companies from more than 35 countries. The projects’ budget he has managed on behalf of AUA has exceeded 5.5 million EURO while the overall budget of the multi partners’ projects he has coordinated has exceeded 17.5 million EURO, all from competitive projects. He has gained large experience in setting up competitive research proposals and in managing and executing research projects and experimental research through multi-national, multi-partner projects, many of which had inter-disciplinary character.
RECOGNISION AND INTERNATIONAL INVOLVEMENT
- Top sited author internationally in the field of Organic Rankine Technology (ORC) for the period 2000-2016, (as mentioned by Imran et al. Recent research trends in organic Rankine cycle technology: A bibliometric approach. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 81, 2018, pp. 552-562)./li>
- Invited from the International Desalination Society (IDA) to the Energy and Environmental Forum, “Creative Solutions and Innovative Strategies to Today’s Water Challenges”, Dec 7–8, 2016, Miami, Florida, USA. He contributed on “Aspects of Variable Operation of Autonomous and Island Grid Connected RO Desalination Systems”. A Blue paper was published by IDA in April 2017, http://ida.enoah.com/Publications/Blue-Paper.
- Invited to write editorial articles for the Journal Fundamentals Renewable Energy Applications (as member of the editorial board) on Renewable Energy Powered Desalination (in 2017) and on the Organic Rankine Technology (in 2016).
- Invited from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Abdul Latif Jameel World Water and Food Security Lab to the “Low Carbon Desalination Workshop”, MIT October 17-18, 2016. He contributed on: (a) Understanding fouling to enhance RO performance and facilitate coupling with renewable sources; (b) Autonomous grids and integration at small scales, (c) PV-RO and grid-scale PV. Report published at http://web.mit.edu/lowcdesal.
- Member of Editorial Boards of six (6) international Journals, namely: Applied Science; Modern Environmental Science and Engineering; Journal of Power and Energy Engineering; Journal of Fundamentals of Renewable Energy and Applications; British Journal of Renewable Energy; Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, (member of the Editorial Advisory Board).
- Distinguished expert of the Chinese government and guest professor (2015, 2016 and 2017) at the Southeast University, Nanjing, China.
- Invited member (2016) of the “scientific council” of CIEMAT-Plataforma Solar de Almería, Spain.
- Founding fellow (2016) of the International Academy of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, http://cigr.org/Governance/academy.php
- Selected NK4 expert (2016) on desalination for the European Union project “Pump-storage Santiago Island/Cape Verde – Economic and financial simulations to define the PPP Strategy”.
- Invited founding member (2015) of the “Global Clean Water Desalination Alliance-H20 minus CO2”.
- Invited founding fellow (2015) of the International Academy of Agricultural and Biological Engineering of CIGR, (CIGR: Committee International on Agricultural Engineering).
- Awarded the life time distinction “CIGR Fellow” at the ASAE annual international meeting/CIGR XVth world congress, 28-31/7/ 2002, Chicago, USA, (ASAE: American Society of Agricultural Engineers).
- Invited (2000) from the European Commission as expert for a study on sustainable water management (water desalination) specifically for the countries Greece, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Malta, Cyprus. A book was published, «Για μια αειφόρο στρατηγική διαχείριση των υδατικών πόρων», Λουξεμβούργο, 2000, ISBN 92-828-7419-2.
Since 1988, he has published more than 180 papers, (80 papers in refereed journals and books, more than 100 papers in international and national conference proceedings and many other publications such as workshop papers, project reports, popular magazine articles etc.). His journal papers have received more than 3400 citations with h index equal to 35, (data from www.scopus.com – in Jan. 2018, searched as “g. papadakis AND agricultural university of athens”). Google scholar reported (in Jan. 2018) more than 5250 citations on all papers (including conference papers) with h index equal to 40, https://scholar.google.gr/citations?hl=el&user=kF-s6CsAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate.
Prof. Papadakis has significant experience in the management of academic institutions: In the period 2010-2014, he was Vice Rector (Vice President/Chancellor) of AUA responsible for the research and development of the university. Major responsibilities included management of the yearly budget of the university, management of the research funds of any source and finding new funds for the university. His accomplishments include: a) the setting up of a two and a half years project for establishing at AUA a Tech Transfer Office (project funded by 860000 EURO by the municipality of Athens with a duration of two years); b) creation of new standards for cooperation with the industry and brought to a new era the relations of AUA with Greek companies, c) negotiating and securing the funding of new educational and research equipment for the university, (funded with 8.5 million EURO by the prefecture of Attica, 2013-2014); d) development of a lifelong training center and agricultural extension service and the establishment of an innovation and entrepreneurship center, (project to be financed by the New York City based foundation of Stavros Niarchos). At the same period and despite the harsh economic conditions in Greece the AUA research budget has been driven to a record peak in the year 2013.
In the periods 2005-2006 & 2004-2005, he was director of the Division of Agricultural Constructions and Agricultural Mechanization of the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering of AUA, responsible for the academic studies offered by the Division within the Dept. In the period 2005-2007, he was Vice Chairman of the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering of AUA.
Since 2015 he is the director of the Lab of Agricultural Engineering at the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering of AUA, http://www.afp.aua.gr/?page_id=1053&lang=en, http://www.afp.aua.gr/?page_id=1365&lang=en.