Agricultural University of Athens,
Iera odos 75, 11855, Athens
email: gpap (at) aua.gr
EDUCATION AND CAREER
- 2009 – today: Professor at AUA, Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
- 2010 – 2014: Vice Rector of AUA, responsible for the research and development of AUA
- 2003: Associate Professor at AUA, Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
- 1996: Assistant Professor at AUA, Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
- 1993-1996: Researcher at AUA, (energy projects)
- 1991-1992: Researcher at CRES (Centre for Renewable energy Sources, Greece)
- 1989: PhD from the Agricultural University of Athens on Agricultural Engineering
- 1983: Diploma on Agricultural Engineering from AUA
Prof. Papadakis has played a key role at the Agricultural University of Athens (AUA) for the advancement of the academic (education and research) activities in the field of sustainable energy. He has guided AUA in introducing relevant courses and he has succeeded in founding an accredited postgraduate program of studies at the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering (NRAE) on “Energy Systems and Renewable Energy” which operates since the year 2000.
He has also significantly contributed to the reform of the curriculum of the undergraduate studies of the Dept. of NRAE during the years 2002-2003.
In the period 2012-2016, he has been involved in a TEMPUS, European Union funded project regarding “Solar energy system design using advanced learning aids” where modern educational material was developed, that is PowerPoint presentations, videos and texts regarding solar energy (photovoltaics and solar thermal) systems design in the English and the Arabic languages.
Over the past 20 years (since September 1996) he has taught a series of courses on under- and postgraduate level at AUA, including courses Renewable Energy Technologies, on Energy efficiency, on Energy and the environment and on Heat and Mass transport processes.
As an internationally recognized academic he has been invited to deliver seminars in universities such as the University of South Florida, USA, Columbia University, NYC, USA, Liege University, Belgium, Ghent University, Belgium, Aston University, UK, University Cadi Ayyad, Marrakech, Morocco, Alexandria University, Egypt, Cairo University, Egypt, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China, Southeast University, Nanjing, China, Seoul National University, S. Korea.
Papadakis’s has been working on renewable energy systems for more than 20 years. Major research activities regard water desalination powered by renewable energy (solar photovoltaic and wind) and other energy sources. He has also been working on the development and application of microgrids consisted of renewable energy technologies for electricity supply, on the development of energy systems based on the Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) and on the biofuels’ deployment for power production.
As a researcher he has coordinated since 1997, 30 research projects; 17 international projects funded by the European Union, 3 bilateral projects (between Greece and Germany, Romania, Hungary) and 9 national ones. The projects’ budget he has managed has exceeded 5.5 million EURO while the overall budget of the multi partners’ projects he has been coordinating has exceeded 17.5 million EURO, all from competitive projects. He has gained large experience in setting up competitive research proposals and in managing and executing research projects and experimental research through multi-national, multi-partner projects, most of which had inter-disciplinary character.
RESEARCH GROUP, SUPERVISION of PhDs
- The research group he coordinates at AUA includes: 4 post-doc researchers, 4 PhD students and 2 engineers, in total 10 researchers.
- He has directly supervised more than 60 graduate theses (including 6 PhDs).
MAIN ACHIEVEMENTS, RECOGNITION AND INTERNATIONAL INVOLVEMENT
- Awarded the title “CIGR Fellow” at the ASAE annual international meeting/CIGR XVth world congress, 28-31 July 2002, Chicago, Illinois USA.
- Member of Institutional, National, or International Scientific Advisory Boards such as the International Solar Energy Society, the European Desalination Society, the Desalination Association, the Global Clean Water Desalination Alliance and the advisory editorial board CRC Press book series SUSTAINABLE ENERGY DEVELOPMENTS.
- Member of many the Scientific Committees of many established international conferences.
- Member of the Editorial Boards of the journals:
- Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, (www.scirp.org/journal/jpee).
- Journal of Fundamentals of Renewable Energy and Applications (http://www.ashdin.com/journals/jfrea/jfrea.aspx).
- British Journal of Renewable Energy, (http://measpublishing.co.uk/journals/bjre/).
- Journal of Agricultural Engineering (JAE), the official journal of the Italian Society of Agricultural Engineering, (http://www.agroengineering.org/jae/index).
- He has served as Reviewer in more than 20 international acclaimed journals.
- Invited founding member (2015) of the “Global Clean Water Desalination Alliance- H20 minus CO2”.
- Selected NK4 expert (2016) on desalination for the European Union project “Pump-storage Santiago Island/Cape Verde – Economic and financial simulations to define the PPP Strategy”.
- Invited member (2016) of the “scientific council” of the institute CIEMAT-Plataforma Solar de Almería, Spain.
Since 1988, he has published more than 70 papers in refereed journals and books and more than 95 papers in international and national conference proceedings. His journal papers have received more than 2650 citations while his h index is 31 (data from Scopus, September 2016).
Prof. Papadakis has significant experience in the management of academic institutions: In the period 2010-2014, he was Vice Rector (Vice President/Chancellor) of AUA responsible for the research and development of the university. Major responsibilities included management of the yearly budget of the university, management of the research funds of any source and finding new funds for the university. His accomplishments include: a) the setting up of a two and a half years project for establishing at AUA a Tech Transfer Office (project funded by 860.000 EURO by the municipality of Athens with a duration of two years); b) creation of new standards for cooperation with the industry and brought to a new era the relations of AUA with Greek companies, c) negotiating and securing the funding of new educational and research equipment for the university, (funded with 8.5 million EURO by the prefecture of Attica, 2013-2014); d) development of a lifelong training center and agricultural extension service and the establishment of an innovation and entrepreneurship center, (project to be financed by the New York City based foundation of Stavros Niarchos). At the same period and despite the harsh economic conditions in Greece the AUA research budget has been driven to a record peak in the year 2013.
In the periods 2005-2006 & 2004-2005, he was director of the Division of Agricultural Constructions and Agricultural Mechanization of the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering of AUA, responsible for the academic studies offered by the Division within the Dept. In the period 2005-2007, he was Vice Chairman of the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering of AUA.
Since 2015 he is the director of the Lab of Agricultural Engineering at the Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering of AUA, http://www.afp.aua.gr/?page_id=1053&lang=en, http://www.afp.aua.gr/?page_id=1365&lang=en.